Saturday, August 14, 2004

"In Da Club"

-- August 14th, 2004 --




First, let me start by saying congratulations to my sister for being accepted to Norfolk State University and will be getting out of MY hair soon! (She's leaving tomorrow to go to school) -- Secretly, she's one of the many motivating factors for why I will be leaving this cursed land known as Ohio.

Moving on...

Last night, I went to a club in Cleveland that shall remain nameless. It was a Teen Night, College Night, whatever they had wanted to call it. Fact is, it was packed wall to wall. More men than women, if you ask me... which is NEVER good, if you ask ME! Anyways, I was up there with my crew pollying with the few people who I knew and worked with up in Cleveland and taking in the sights. There has GOT to be something wrong with the food nowadays, there is no way that girls can have what they have now through natural means. So... I'm there, dancing, you know -- doing my thing, and what I was beginning to notice is that we are desensitized to our own plight.

Nothing wrong with having fun -- nothing wrong with getting your dance on, having a few drinks and partying like it's 1999 (I know it's cliché) -- but the things that I saw would make WET: UnCut come to Cleveland and film a music video. Man, I see these chicks (a term loosely used) -- who were a walking contradiction. Had these Bob Marley T-Shirts on, over their panties, right?!!? If you're a guy, like me, I'm thinking, that's sexy -- but reality set in over the course of a few more shots of Henny -- they have the red, gold, green wristbands on with Marley adorning their petite frames... all the while making their booties clap and taking five dollar bills from the oogling natives. And you know what happens when the natives get restless -- sure enough, you had hands clasping thick thighs and rumps, eyes bulging up and down to see if they could "get a peek," a collaboration of shouts from, "Hey, lemme see that clit, Ma," to, "I got this money, bitch, what you gon' do for it." I watched as these Sistas had smiles on their faces as dollar bill got put into pantie line, as hand grasped thigh, as open palm smacked petite booty. It dawned on me -- we are a desensitized, overly-sexual populace.

These guys had no regard for these females, maybe I should've felt guilty because I didn't become vocal about my thoughts then and there, but it was happening right in front my eyes and the shock (or revelation) was immense. I mean, once a prettier, sexier female hopped on the platform to dance and "perform" these guys oogling-attention shifted. These females, whether they knew what they were doing or not, accepted and glorified in the attention that they were given, as well as the money. I mean the esteem was so low that the guys there were trying to break the bank on these women -- pulling out cash to see how "low" they would go. Some did, others watched. But as I took in my surroundings, I didn't like the area, it seemed too familiar, too comfortable. So, for the rest of the night, I didn't dance. I didn't feel like bombarding myself on another female, nor taking the subtle rejection as I ask a female to dance, only to see another guy just creep up on her on the sly -- look back to see if he's cute -- and then freak him on the dance floor. I just kept noticing that I was beginning to feel out of place. It's been like this the last few times that I would go to a club, not just in Cleveland. At first I thought it was because I didn't have the clothes to make a hard enough statement to impress the female species. Then, I thought it was because my personality didn't' t vibe well with the female (I can be a smart ass at times).

I don't know why I feel the way that I do -- mind you, this is not just at "Teen Night" or "College Night" parties, this is even when I go to an "established" night spot. It just feels like it is the same stuff. Have we, as Black People, become so commonplace with our debauchery that when it seems like we're being chivalrous that it is weird or even fake? I mean, after the club ended and the night was done -- all that could be heard from one end to the next was, "Hey you in the Pink," or, "These bitches is stingy," or, "Bitch, come here..." (actual comments heard just on the way to my car). I would not like to think that gone is our respectability amongst our Brotha and Sistas JUST when we're out to have fun. Hate to see what it's like on a daily basis...

Lastly...

Congratulations to my man, Blitz, for making it known out there in NY and Columbus -- the past few weeks were slick, these next few are going to be hella interesting. For those reading, if you haven't heard, "Soul Rebel," you can check out the site @ http://www.reprisalrecords.com -- clicking on a certain spot, you'll be taken to CDBaby.com where you can hear snippets from the album. It's only $10.00 -- SUPPORT REAL HIP-HOP.

3 Comments:

Blogger It's DANYA, Damnit! said...

Sweet! Congrats to ur sister. ;-)

August 29, 2004 at 8:36 PM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

Da club...ahh the club. Mmmmm... LoL. Yea I had this same discussion (as posted in your blog) with a friend of mind not to long ago. And, I have to fully agree with ya, the club atmosphere is surely becoming a bit played... I mean, I often find it to have that "you-already-know-what-to-expect" type vibe to it or something... strangely but true... :) Honestly, the club and "me" do not mix well anymore...I need something else, seriously!

August 31, 2004 at 10:10 PM

 
Blogger Dayrell said...

Oh yea, good luck to your little sis...Norfolk State is an excellent school...

August 31, 2004 at 10:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home